Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ya the week flies by. I can not believe I've been out almost 6 months. People here tend to have very similar work ethics as American's. Ya we are the only 2 LDS missionaries on the island. and we go across quite often actually for different conferences. We've already gone across twice in this last transfer. Next week is transfer week so I won't be doing my e-mailing next monday, it will most likely be on Wednesday. I hope and pray that you have a better work week. You have always been so hard working. I am glad that you are that way and have taught me to be that way as well.... wow I'm realizing how I am getting quicker and quicker at typing e-mails. That is cool. We had an amazing experience just 2 days ago. We went tracking and it was a long day of very few people opening the door. It was rainy and we were hoping and praying someone would answer the door and let us in. The few instances when people did answer they just were not interested. We then were about to move on when we decided to try our luck on the other side of the road. The very first home we knocked on a woman answered and said, "Hi i'm a Jehovah’s witness, a bunch of us just got done with ministry(which is what they call their tracking) and just came back here for a drink. Would you like to come in." Both my companion and I were silent for a second. My heart started racing with excitement but also with nerves. I didn't want us to come in and them to try to pounce on us with their religion. I guess that is what others might feel when we come to the door and want to talk with them. It was amazing though. The people were so nice. We had a nice discussion where we talked about their beliefs and ours. The was actually a man there that both Sister Doherty and I feel really needed to hear what we shared. He even took a Plan of Salvation pamphlet when we left. It was a really neat experience where the spirit led us to where we needed to be. I love you dad and am so grateful for your support. Dear President Preston, My conversion story continued: When I was 14 my parents decided to move into a bigger home so they went on the search. They found homes in California near where we already lived, but whenever they put in offers, things fell through and went wrong. It seemed as though we were not meant to be moving there. My parents sought guidance from a greater source, the Lord, and felt prompted to move to Utah. As they made their decision and went in search for a home in Utah the first home we tried to buy fell through but they ended up getting one in a neighbourhood close by. I know this is exactly where the Lord wanted us. My mom said she received a simple but profound confirmation of this as she looked at our home to be and saw the pretty yellow tulips poking their heads out of the snow. She felt the spirit telling her this would be our home. I was extremely uneasy at first about leaving everything and everyone I knew, but I decided to pray to know, not if we were to move to Utah, but to know if my parents truly had gotten an answer from God that that is where we needed to be. My answer came by me forgetting about my worries. I was confident that I needed to move forward with faith. Modern day revelation is one of the things that continuously proves to me that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints is the true church of God on the earth today. As I have been in tune with the spirit I have felt it guiding me. At certain phases in my life I have met people that led me to where I needed to be. I was working at IKEA and met my friend Marshall that told me his dad owned a wilderness therapy camp. I had been looking for one that I could work at for the past couple of years and finally it was here. It is like the answer fell strait from heaven and landed in my lap. I got the job working as a camp councillor helping others change their lives around. It was truly there that I realized I needed to serve a mission. I wanted people obtain this change of heart spiritually as well as temporally. And now here I am! I am loving it so much and feel the spirit teaching me again and again. I wish sometimes I could learn quicker because there is so much to be learning. I want to make the most of the time I have. I will just have to enjoy where I am at. Yay! Sister Doherty and I are still serving on the Isle of Man! I am so happy. We had a miracle the other day and I would like to share it with you. We had a 19 year old we've been teaching. We meet him a few weeks ago as he was heading to work. What was really cool was that he was smoking when I met him (that's not the cool part) but I talked to him anyway. He opened up right away. He shared how his family was religious but he didn't know if he believed any of it. He was way early for his shift so we were able to sit down with him and teach him a lesson. The past few weeks since having the first 2 lessons with him it has been a little hard to get a hold of him. The other day one of our appointments fell through and the next one we had was way on the other side of town. My companion thought maybe we should head to the other area, but we had made some back up plans to talk to people by the outside mall. As we stuck to our plans we ended up running into Daniel, this 19 year old, and his Nan. I know it was meant to be. It was no coincidence that our appointment fell through, and it was because it did that we were able to stick to our back up plan and be where the Lord wanted us. I have a testimony of planning, especially with having back up plans. When we write down the place that we plan to go the Lord is able to place people in our paths that are ready to hear and receive the gospel. All we need to do is stick to our plans and open our mouths and the spirit will do the rest. We are now teaching Daniel again, and he even shared how previously his Nan never was interested in religion but I was able to have a good gospel conversations with her and even open up the scriptures with her when she asked why bad things happen to good people. I simply read with her Alma 34:41, "But that ye have patience, and bear with those afflictions, with a firm hope that ye shall one day rest from all your afflictions." We discussed this for a while and she found peace in the passage. Daniel said his Nan was really thinking about what we shared and is starting to have an interest in the gospel. What a miracle! Daniel also said he wants to be baptized. We set a date with him for the 16th of June. How amazing! Love, Sister Longmore

No comments:

Post a Comment