Monday, April 16, 2012

Learning about me

Hello President Preston. This week has been another great one. We have been working hard over here on the Isle of Man. Sister Doherty is quite the leader. She is teaching me a lot, or rather I am learning a lot from this experience. I am learning to let my voice be heard and that my opinion does matter. I am usually ok with that but it has been a little difficult for me to stand firm and confident in who I am when others question me just because I do things differently. It is really helping me see that I am my parent’s child. I am a product of how they raised me, which I love! This last week we had the incredible opportunity to walk out to the Tower of Refuge. On the way there we said a prayer to be able to find someone to share the gospel with that was prepared to receive the message. As we stood in the line to walk down the steps and onto the beach we met a woman who was very nice. We had a good chat with her. Her husband soon came and joined her in line, and suggested they walk down a different set of steps that would get them to the castle quicker. We decided to follow. Sister Doherty caught up with the woman and was able to continue the previous conversation we had with her and so I was able to speak with her husband. We had a wonderful conversation where I found out that he had a Book of Mormon and had been reading. He was all the way up to the end of 1Nephi. He said he really enjoys it. As he told me his name Sister Doherty flipped around. She had met him before. He ordered a Book of Mormon from Mormon.org, however he didn’t ask for the missionaries to come over. Sister Doherty and Davis dropped the Book of Mormon off but decided to give him some time and hopefully something would come of the situation. Well here it was! He was prepared and finally ready to receive the missionaries. What a miracle! That never would have happened had we not gone to the Tower of Refuge, or even spoke with his wife first. We also met a new investigator and taught him a lesson on the spot. His name is Daniel and he is so great. He too seems like he was prepared for the Lord. We were able to work with so many of the people on the 36 Month List. It has been great to see those that still have the flame of their testimony burning inside them. There, however, are some that are barely hanging on. We are working with them on continuing to keep the commandments and having an end goal of the temple and the Celestial Kingdom. This is something that my mom sent to me this week; just see and hear what an amazing woman she is. “When you talk with people from your heart they feel it. It doesn't matter if your words are perfect, in fact their imperfection is probably more endearing than anything. People don't want perfect, they want real. Real is what my Alyssa Ann is when she is feeling the power of the Savior burning in her heart so strongly that she knows the words don't matter, the feeling does. Those people on the Isle of Man want to feel what it feels like to basque in the warmth of the Savior's Love. You and Sister Doherty are there to open the doorway of opportunity for them to feel the warmth and comfort of the Holy Ghost that emanates from a missionary that is so on fire with it that it burns out of your every pour.” Thank you for everything. Love Sister Longmore
Taylor, Hi! So I will tell you the story of the spirit telling us to "GO TO THE FLAT NOW!" We got home a little early one night in my last area and decided we would try to find some people to talk to before we went home. Hardly anyone was on the street so we decided to say a prayer and let the spirit guide us. After the prayer we walked down a road and past a really old all girls high school. It had to have been from the 1800's. As we past the back gate I got this really strong impression that someone needed our help. I was a little confused because I felt like maybe it was at the school. But as I looked in the gate it was soooo dark and creepy. I told Sister Hoffman and she said, "No. Let's not go in there." We decided to head back to the main road and the filling still was with me. Sister Hoffman said we should say another prayer. As we did she said, "We need to go to the flat, NOW!" As we started walking I felt the need to run! I have no idea why, but I knew we had to. We ended up getting in about 10 minutes early which you shouldn't do unless the spirit tells you otherwise, which it had for us. I have no idea what would have happened had we stuck around, but I know that the spirit prompted both of us. Sister Hoffman thinks it was her who needed the help. She wasn't feeling the spirit until I said someone needs help. Kinda crazy, but really powerful. Today we are taking out a 14 year old boy to teach with us. He is so so excited for his mission, it is so cute. Small fact, his birthday is the exact same day as mine. I love you bud and I know the Lord will call you to a place that you are ment to go. Love you Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment