Thursday, April 11, 2013

Meeting Up!


Dear President,

This has been one crazy week. Wow! I was able to go on an exchange with Sister Crookston. It was so good to see her and work with her again. She is the same Sister I worked with 9 months ago, but she has just grown and become more like the Saviour than even before. We had the chance to have a very fun but spiritual exchange.
 In the busy city of Manchester I saw a bus that said Sale on the front of it. That caught my attention because I have a relation that lives there. Sister Crookston then mentioned Sale was in her area. I reminded her of how long ago we had a family friend, Pauline, join the church in Manchester and later move to California introducing my Grandma and Grandpa, my Dad, and his siblings into the church. Well Pauline's sister, Margaret, lives in Sale. What is really amazing is I never usually bring my address book with me places. It usually stays at the flat, however, for some reason I brought it with me on exchange, and now I know why. We figured while on the exchange it would be the perfect time to go and see Margaret. During nightly planning we prayed whether to ring her first or just call by. We both felt the need to just call by.
 The next day we spent the morning in Piccadilly. We had miracle after miracle happen. It felt like we were back in Kendal. I felt the unity we felt 9 months ago come right back into our companionship. After having lunch in Piccadilly we hopped on a bus to Sale and realized we didn't have the map, but we figured we knew the general area where Margaret lives. When we got close we would ask people for further directions. As we got there and were asking around no one knew where this street was. For some reason though, we weren't worried. We said a little prayer and started walking to the post office to ask them where the street was. As we were walking Sister Crookston suggested we try down a certain street; what was crazy is literally just before she mentioned that I had that same thought. As we walked down it sure enough there was Margaret’s street.
 As we approached her home my heart started to beat faster and faster. We knocked a few times but no one answered. Both of us said, "They will be here." We just felt it. We ended up tracting her street while we waited, figuring they were out and would be back soon. As we did her neighbour’s let us in and offered us a biscuit and some hot chocolate. We sang her a hymn. She was such a sweet old woman. We told her what we were doing as missionaries and specifically why we were on her street. She had her son look out the window and let us know when he saw Margaret and her husband Bob get in. Sure enough about 30 minutes later they came home.
 That evening we were supposed to teach a lesson back in Stretford area however we got a phone call saying he had to cancel, which actually was a blessing because it gave us just enough time to visit with Margaret and Bob. As we approached their home a strange sense of calmness and excitement filled me. They were in their drive way and as I said I was Karen Prices grand-daughter they embraced us immediately and invited us in. Wow! It was fantastic.
 Margaret and Bob were very surprised we took such a risk in going out there without even calling. We told them of our experience of praying whether to ring first. Bob has cancer and so he could have had a hospital visit or many other things going on that very easily could have caused us to miss them, however the Lord brought everything into alignment. What a massive miracle. I will forever be grateful for this exchange.
 It truly felt as if this day was planned from even before I came to earth. It was probably one of the most significant days on my mission thus far. They showed us pictures and told us stories. We even sang them a hymn. They listened as I shared why I was here on my mission and how I gained my testimony. Margaret is a strong Catholic, however, the spirit was felt as we spoke of how our Heavenly Father has helped both of us. About 12 years ago Margaret had lessons with the missionaries and even read parts of the Book of Mormon. She did this mainly because her sister Pauline really wanted her to. They are very supportive of one another. I do not know what the results will be of our visit however; I do know that it was divinely designed to happen. 
 I am so happy I got to go there with Sister Crookston of all people. I have such a great love for her.
 President I know I am here serving in England for a reason. I know that this day was planned from long before. I love you.

-Sister Alyssa Ann Longmore

No comments:

Post a Comment