Wednesday, June 13, 2012

E-Mail to the President


Dear President,
I am so grateful for that both my mom and dad have taught me to work hard. Just last Saturday we had what I would consider to be one of the hardest days physically in the mission field so far. We were out all day in our new area, walking around everywhere and talking to everyone. I would say we walked probably close to 10 miles. It was exhausting. We spoke with so many people though. We were able to have 21 quality gospel conversations that day out of which we were able to set up 4 appointments. We also had 3 lessons to non-members that day and one to an active member. One of the 21 people we spoke with turned out to be quite a miracle. We met this man named Kevin as we were walking down an old country road in what seemed like the middle of nowhere. It was beautiful and there was a green hill with many sheep dotting the field next to us. This is what I pictured England to be like. We were on our way to an appointment with one of our investigators, so don't think we were just randomly walking down an old road. But as we proceeded we stopped to talk with a man named Kevin, he told us he knew who we were. He said he has off and on visited with missionaries for the past 10 years he just never has seen girl versions of the elders. He ended up sharing that he feels that he is on the brink of something big and he is not quite sure what to do with the future. (I know it kind of sounds like a fortune cookie). But as he shared this with us I got the biggest prompting to invite him to follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized. So I did and we read Mosiah 18:8-13 with him. He told us he felt the spirit and he told us that he knew about Joseph Smith and knew he wasn't lying when he said he saw God the Father and Jesus Christ. This was AMAZING!!! We had a new investigator. He truly was prepared by the Lord. Later that night we looked through all of the teaching records that the past missionaries have kept and couldn't find Kevin anywhere. I know he was placed in our path by the Lord. We weren't even supposed to be having a lesson with our investigator Matty but because one of our other plans fell through we had time to see Matty. The Lord knows us so well and knows where we need to be.... Oh what I was going to say about hard work though is that after our lesson with Matty we went to get on the train home and inside I was feeling so tired and just wanted to sit and not talk to anyone but then the spirit whispered to me "forget yourself and go to work" so that is what I did. I spoke with a nice woman and daughter that were visiting from Italy. They agreed to look on Mormon.org. It made me feel so good that I was able to put the Lord first.
I am so happy to be serving with Sister Mauch. I feel we are working so well together. I really get along with her and feel that we are helping each other to become even better missionaries. She is great and the branch is also really nice. The people have been so kind to us. I feel we are going to do a great work here in Kendal.
Yesterday at church we had some members, the Barkers, that are living in the Leeds boundaries but because our chapel is closer they have permission from the first presidency to attend here in Kendal. As we spoke with them they said they have some neighbours that they really want the missionaries to meet and start teaching. One of them is looking to find Christ in her life but unfortunately keeps turning to alcohol to numb the pain and wonders why God is not helping her. Another one is a grandmother that is taking care of her grand-daughter because the daughter actually died during the child birth of her baby. The Barkers feel she is really prepared to receive the gospel. The only problem is that it is out of our boundaries and they have spoken with the missionaries in the Leeds mission and supposedly they say it is too far to travel to teach these individuals. The Barkers asked if we could teach them if they come to pick us up and drop us off. What do you think, President?

No comments:

Post a Comment