Monday, June 11, 2012

Keep Strong & Carry On

(An Email to Taylor) I am having some really good experiences. We were out street contacting on the Promenade, which is kinda like the boardwalk, and we divided up to talk to more people but we stayed close by eachother so we could keep an eye on one another just in case anything were to happen. But I went and talked with a man that opened up to me that he has gone through a really rough divorce. He said that he had a belief in God but didn't really go to church or do anything about it. He continued on sharing how hard things were for him and I shared how with the gospel, the bad times won't necessarily go away, but he would be able to handle them and they would be easier to deal with. He liked the concept but didn't agree to meet with us again. :( he did however allow me to say a prayer when I asked if it was ok. As I did he must have truly felt the spirit because as I opened my eyes his eyes were teary. He quickly shrugged it off and carried on his way. I know that although he might not have agreed to meet with us, I did plant a seed and maybe it was what he needed to give him the faith to pray on his own. As I went to go meet Sister Doherty she was talking with a man that was pushing an empty wheel chair. As I approached him I realized he was handicap. He said that he wasn't always this way. He showed us a huge scar he had down his belly and one on his neck. He said he got in a motor bike accident when he was 17. He is now 51. He said people said he would never walk again, but he taught himself to walk. He walks by holding onto the wheelchair and when he feels tired he sits in it and pushes himself. He said so many people laughed at him and pointed at him, but he has gotten used to it now. You could tell his mind was completely fine but his body was ruined. He appreciated us talking with him so much. It was such a good day. I love you Taylor and am so proud of the man that you are becoming. I know learning and growing is sometimes not the easiest or the most fun. It takes some falling down in order to practice and perfect walking and eventually move onto running but I know it is well worth it. Keep strong and carry on, ( a British motto). But really Taylor, you can do anything you put your mind to. -Love ALYSSA

No comments:

Post a Comment